This week, Emily takes a break from running around town at a disappointingly average speed to recommend that you start watching The Flash.
I love a show that embraces its own silliness — and the utter nerdiness of its fanbase — and runs with it. And it’s been a super busy week. But nothing’s been delighting me in the last week or so as much as the incredibly earnest, silly, enthusiastic, and charming The Flash. So this week, I give you nine (quick) reasons why you should catch up on The Flash.
1. Our protagonist, Barry Allen is adorably nerdy — actually, make that adorable and nerdy.
2. The show’s super self-aware about its tone and its genre.
3. It also delights in the nerdiness of both its writers and its fanbase.
4. They even use pop culture properties to explain their own time-travel paradoxes — it’s recursive, nerdy, self-referential, and awesome.
5. Victor Garber is being delightful as ever delivering techno-babble with gravitas.
6. The actors are ridiculously talented and recorded an acapella cover of the “Ballad of Serenity.”
7. On that note, Jesse L. Martin is just the best. I forgot how many feelings I used to have about Tom Collins.
8. The show has tons of heart. I genuinely can’t remember the last time I got teary at a season finale.
9. It’s not perfect — the lady characters need a bit of work, and I’m not sure if the fact that one woman was talking about her completed dissertation in one episode and trying to get a job at a newspaper in the next was a continuity error or a subtle critique of the current job market in academia — but it’s pretty freaking awesome.